Do you have a passion for audio and for telling compelling stories from diverse perspectives?
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to take your audio editing, social media and storytelling skills to the next level?
If yes, then this opportunity is for you!
SurroundSound is looking for an Associate Producer to support this year’s festival!
Overview of the position:
Position Title: Associate Producer
Duration: Mid-June to end of July
Working Hours: Approx. 10 hours/week in June; 5h/week in July
Salary: This is an unpaid position.
Language Requirements: English; French highly desirable.
Please send your C.V. and short paragraph explaining why you’d like to join our team as Associate Producer to email@example.com by June 15. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Summary of the position:
Under the supervision of the Producer, you will be responsible for running the 2018 edition of the SurroundSound Radio Documentary Festival. SurroundSound is a Canadian radio documentary festival celebrating diverse and compelling audio stories by both emerging and veteran journalists, producers and writers. The festival first aired in the summer of 2015 on community radio in Ottawa and Edmonton. In 2017, it expended to community radios in Halifax and Regina. The festival runs for four weeks during the month of July. For more information on the festival, visit our website at https://surroundsoundfest.com/.
You role as Associate Producer will be to manage the 4th edition of the festival, with the support of and mentorship from the SurroundSound Producer (based in Ottawa) and community radio collaborators in Edmonton, Halifax, Ottawa and Regina. This involves:
- Assessing entries using set criteria and working with the Producer to select documentaries to be aired;
- Updating the website with new authors/docs;
- Updating Facebook and Twitter;
- Tweeting before and during the festival;
- Editing documentaries;
- Voicing and curating weekly episodes (4 in total; in collaboration with producer).
The SurroundSound festival is a volunteer initiative. As such, we are looking for someone willing to take on the position of Associate Producer on a volunteer basis. That said, any expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
- You have a passion for audio and for telling compelling stories from diverse perspectives.
- You have a creative mind and ability to problem-solve.
- You work extremely on your own, but also thrive in a team environment.
- You are sensitive to gender and diversity in your approach to your work.
- 4th year or MJ student, or University graduate in the field of journalism/communications, or an equivalent combination of education and significant amount of relevant experience.
Work Experience & Skills:
- Experience planning, prioritizing and overseeing a wide variety of tasks;
- Strong writing and voicing skills;
- Strong ability to work with audio editing programs (Audition or other);
- Ability to identify, develop and evaluate rich, creative and original content;
- Ability to communicate clearly and in a timely manner to candidates;
- Strong knowledge of social media;
- Ability to navigate and work in WordPress;
- SurroundSound is committed to having a skilled, diversified workforce reflective of Canadian society. We are also committed to supporting and mentoring new talent. As a result, we encourage all interested applicants to apply.
- SurroundSound is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environment. Alternative selection tool methods and/or reasonable accommodation are available upon request;
- Candidates are entitled to participate in the selection process in the official language of their choice.